- PROJECT TITLE: CLICK DESIGN delivering fingertip knowledge to enable service life performance specification of wood
- PROJECT LEADER: BRE (UK) / for InnoRenew CoE – Jakub Sandak, PhD
- PERIOD: 1. 3. 2019 (36 months)
- BUDGET: 210.000 EUR for InnoRenew CoE
- FINANCED: European Union – ForestValue Research Programme & MIZŠ
- PARTNERS: BRE (UK), University of Goettingen (Netherland), Lund University (Sweden), VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland (Finland), InnoRenew Renewable Materials and Healthy Environments Research and Innovation Centre of Excellence (InnoRenew CoE) (Slovenia), Institute Technological FCBA (France), Norwegian Institute of Bioeconomy Research NIBIO (Norway), Research Institute for the Biology of Insect (IRBI) (France) and the company Hygiène Office ( France)
CLICK DESIGN will develop a performance based specification protocol to enable provision of a software tool for architects and specifiers to embed service life performance specification for wood. The key scientific and technological objectives are to:
- Provide the scientific understanding of how the inherent properties of a wood material and in-service environmental exposure are related to the response (performance) linked to defined limit states for the product. The work will corral and extract existing knowledge from research models and clarify the significance of gaps in understanding.
- Understand and bring together for the first time the models and performance databases associated with decay and integrity, aesthetic function and insect/termite performance to create a holistic pan- European approach.
- Validate a set of models using real-case studies (buildings, structures) from across Europe in collaboration with expert witness and engineering bureaus.
- Inspire new wood-based design solutions and specifications and support a new generation of ‘timber savvy’ designers by taking an important step towards digitalization of knowledge and specification.
- Deliver a software tool into pilot usage following the open source standard (IFS, ISC) for BIM readiness via consideration of information template, databook entry and plug-ins.
The expected major breakthrough of CLICK DESIGN is the development of a performance based specification protocol for wood in construction and enables provision of a software tool for service life performance specification for planners and architects. This major innovation will expand the reach of wood products to new users – beyond the small proportion of specifiers who are xylophiles and ‘wood aware’ – increasing market confidence with users for wood as a reliable product and expand possibility for new product innovations. This supports the forest sectors vision to triple market share for wood products and services in construction by 2030. The project connects to the UN Sustainability Goals 9 (industry, innovation and infrastructure), 11 (sustainable cities and communities) and 12 (responsible consumption and production) by increasing the responsible use of the raw material wood for increased service life. This is especially important with the increased focus on timber buildings and massive timber construction. There is immediate need to increase the competence of key roles connected to building procurement, including architects, designers, builders and property owners. The CLICK DESIGN tool will facilitate reaching this goal by combining an easy-touse tool with pedagogic background information.
»InnoRenew CoE main activities in the project«
- To define a numerical quantifier of the aesthetical state of wooden elements exposed to weathering
- To design a procedure for determination of aesthetical limit states for the customer tolerance to material deterioration
- To implement weather dose-response modelling approach for simulation of the wooden elements appearance changes along service life
- To develop an optimization tool for scheduling of cleaning/maintenance/replacement/
- To integrate simulation of building aesthetical changes with visualization software”