- PROJECT TITLE: Building a sustainable & circular economy through innovative, bio-based manufacturing lines (NewWave)
- GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER: 101058369 — NewWave
- PROJECT LEADER: Anna Sandak, PhD
- PERIOD: 01.04.2022 – 31.03.2026
- BUDGET: €5,057,580.00 (€443,750.00 for InnoRenew CoE)
- FINANCING: HORIZON EUROPE-RIA
- COORDINATOR: B.T.G. Biomass technology group BV (the Netherlands)
- PARTNERS: Aep Polymers Srl (Italy); Foresa Technologies S.L. (Spain); Avecom (Belgium); Rijksuniversiteit Groningen (The Netherlands); InnoRenew CoE (Slovenia); Blue Synergy Sl (Spain); Transfurans Chemicals Bvba (Belgium); Foreco Dalfsen BV (the Netherlands); Eta – Energia, Trasporti, Agricoltura Srl (Italy); Ava Biochem Bsl Ag (Switzerland)
The NewWave project will build a circular economy by adapting four manufacturing lines to substitute traditional fossil-based materials with bio-based resources that are sustainable, nontoxic and fully recyclable. The four manufacturing lines are polyols and polyurethane, hydroxymethyl furfural and derivatives, engineered wood panels and modified wood. The individual manufacturing lines, as well as the integrated value chain, will be assessed in detail on technical, economic, social and environmental performance to ensure the production is truly sustainable.
InnoRenew CoE project activities
InnoRenew CoE will coordinate Work Package 6 – Manufacturing line for wood modification. The research will focus on formulations’ optimization based on Fast Pyrolysis Bio-Oil for use as a wood modification agent, characterization of the modified wood’s properties by multiple testing techniques and demonstration of the manufacturing line’s technical feasibility.
New products developed by the NewWave manufacturing lines will be used as cladding and construction materials on the InnoRenew CoE building. The material’s performance will be monitored in situ, allowing assessment of material deterioration and estimation of service life regarding functionality and aesthetics. This information will be used for future formulation and modification process optimizations as well as scheduling recommended maintenance actions. The demo site mock-up will provide practical experience in terms of material machinability, application and behavior during service life. The demo activity will also be used to attract potential customers and serve as best practices.