December 2, 2022
The International Society of Wood Science and Technology (SWST) held its 64th International Convention, “Value from Wood Resources Through Innovation”, 1-6 August 2021 in Flagstaff, Arizona (USA).
SWST is an international organization for practitioners and researchers in the field of wood-based materials. Dr. Andreja Kutnar, InnoRenew CoE director, is currently wrapping up her term as president of the SWST executive board.
Dr. Matthew Schwarzkopf and Amy Simmons, InnoRenew CoE researchers, traveled to Arizona to join the conference. Dr. Schwarzkopf gave a talk, “Flexible Biorefining for Renewable Feedstocks in Wood Adhesives”, while Simmons presented “Equality and Inclusivity at Research Institutes”.
Other InnoRenew CoE researchers had presentations accepted but were unable to attend:
- Mike Burnard, “Policy Recommendations to Strengthen the Role of the Wood Sector in Europe’s Circular Bio-Economy”
- David DeVallance, “Comparison of Mechanical Properties of CLT Panels Produced With Yellow-Poplar Lumber Sorted by Visual Grading Versus Non-Destructive Evaluation Methodology” and “Carbonization of Hemp for Value-Added Energy and Composite Applications”
- Lei Han, “Creep Behaviour of Densified Wood With Post Heat-Treatment”
- Aarne Niemelä, “Aspects of Sustainable Student Housing: Case Studies in Koper, Slovenia”
- Eva Prelovšek Niemelä, “Weather Protection and Moisture Content of Large Mass Timber Buildings During Construction”
- Lea Primožič, “Sustainability Communication of Wood Sector in Comparison to Textile and Car Industry”
- Črtomir Tavzes, “Promoting Wood and Woodworking With an Interactive Workshop”