January 20, 2021Read more
Nastja Podrekar, assistant researcher at InnoRenew CoE, main area of research: improving human health in the built environment using ergonomically designed furniture
- Where were you living in childhood and where do you live now?
I spent my childhood in Ljubljana, and for the last four years I have been living at the coast.
- What have you studied and what were the motives for your decision?
I studied design at the Faculty of Natural Sciences in Ljubljana. I then continued at the Faculty of Health Sciences, where I mainly focused on ergonomics. Now, I am still studying as a PhD student at the Faculty of Health Sciences, and I am also studying physiotherapy.
- How would you describe your work to someone outside your field?
The purpose of my work is to seek ergonomic solutions to enhance people’s health and reduce the negative effects of prolonged sitting in both school children and the working population.
- What does your typical working day look like?
Either I take measurements as part of projects or work with a computer, depending on the current work schedule.
- What makes you excited about your work?
Finding new solutions.
- And what is the biggest challenge at your work?
Sitting at the computer all day.
- Which scientist or scientific achievement are you fascinated by and why?
I appreciate very much Dr. Molenbroek as he was one of the first to scientifically approach the design of school furniture, taking into account the aspect of anthropometry.
- Tell us about the work of art (books, music, movies, theatre, dance, visual arts) that has a special place in your life.
Textile design definitely has a special place; I like, for example, designer Jagoda Buić; and I like costume design, for example, the work of Alan Hranitelj.
- What have you read, listened to, or watched lately?
Most of the literature I read is related to the job or study. The last time I was at a concert, it was the concert of the Zmelkoow or maybe a Led Zeppelin tribute. I like going to the cinema; I like the Odeon cinema in Izola.
- Which place on the Slovene coast do you like the most?
This is a secret 😊
- What makes you enthusiastic?
Always something else.
- Characterize your life’s guidance or an important realization (or epiphany) you have experienced.
Live and let live.
- What does the charm of wood mean to you?
Probably that it is natural, diverse and versatile.