March 3, 2021Read more
Sidra Aslam, assistant researcher at InnoRenew CoE; main areas of research: Privacy, Web of Things and Distributed Systems
- Where were you living in childhood and where do you live now?
I grew up in Fateh Jang, Pakistan. After that, I moved from Pakistan to Germany three years ago. Now I am living in Koper, Slovenia.
- What have you studied and what were the motives for your decision?
I studied computer science because I have deep interest in this area of study. The focus of my doctoral research is security and privacy issues in distributed system. I am very passionate about my research work. I have an aspiration to discover and learn new things.
- How would you describe your work to someone outside your field?
In my doctoral research, I am working on users’ privacy sensitive information in distributed systems. My work is to conduct research and develop innovative solutions to solve research problems.
- What does your typical working day look like?
My days are rarely the same because my work is very diverse. Almost every day is unique since I have a lot of meetings regarding my research work.
- What makes you excited about your work?
I feel excited when we solve the research problem, attend conferences and meetings to discuss the research work.
- And what is the biggest challenge at your work?
To manage my social life with work is challenging.
- Which scientist or scientific achievement is you fascinated by and why?
I am very fascinated by the great scientist Thomas Edison, an inventor of the light bulb. Edison made 1,000 unsuccessful attempts at inventing the light bulb. Once a reporter asked, “How did it feel to fail 1,000 times?” Edison replied, “I didn’t fail 1,000 times. The light bulb was an invention with 1,000 steps.” Edidon is my motivation.
- Tell us about the work of art (books, music, movies, theatre, dance, visual arts) that has a special place in your life.
During my leisure time, I like to play badminton, read books, do some oil painting and talk to my family. Sometimes I watch good moral movies, also.
- What have you read, listened to, or watched lately?
There is nothing specific about watching, listening or reading.
- Describe your very first impression of Slovenia.
The first impression of Slovenia was fabulous for me. The most attracting and fascinating fact about Slovenia is its very beautiful seaside view. People are very nice and helpful.
- What do you like about Slovenia and what do you miss most from your homeland?
Slovenia is a very nature friendly, safe and peaceful country. Slovenia exhibits a vast diversity of nature.The country has numerous mountains and hills that are suitable for all levels of hiking. Hiking in the Slovenian forest offers gorgeous surroundings like nowhere else. Sometimes, I miss my family.
- Which place on the Slovene coast do you like the most?
My absolute favourite is Koper beause of its beautiful seaside view. I like to spend my time by sitting and walking near the seaside. I like to observe the waves of sea.
- What makes you enthusiastic?
Travelling around Europe and visiting new, exciting places.
- Characterize your life’s guidance or an important realization (or epiphany) you have experienced.
You aren’t what people say you are. So, do not pay attention to what people say about you. Just focus on your goals, follow your dreams and fully enjoy your life without any worries.
- What does the charm of wood mean to you?
Wood may be the most environmentally friendly material available for building homes or businesses. Wood products are produced from trees, a naturally renewable resource in the forest. I feel better and stronger with every inhalation whenever I visit the forest. It may even feel like I am actually breathing for the first time in my life.