January 15, 2021Read more
Michael Mrissa, researcher at the InnoRenew CoE and professor at the University of Primorska, main area of research: Web of Things
- Where were you living in childhood and where do you live now?
In my childhood, I was living in the region of Lyon, France, and I live now in Primorska, Slovenia.
- What have you studied and what were the motives for your decision?
I studied computer science because I was always fascinated by distributed systems.
- How would you describe your work to someone outside your field?
On the research side, we are working in a team. We are looking at problems that limit distributed systems, especially in the context of the Web of Things, and we are building innovative solutions to resolve them. The teaching side involves transferring knowledge to students through classes and project tutoring. We also write project proposals and collaborate with industry through contracts.
- What does your typical working day look like?
Because the work is very diverse, there is no such thing as typical working day, which is something I really enjoy.
- What makes you excited about your work?
Teamwork, creativity and the good feeling we get when we manage to resolve a problem is the most exciting part of it. Accompanying students along their professional development is also very rewarding.
- And what is the biggest challenge at your work?
Time management is my biggest challenge. It feels like juggling sometimes.
- Which scientist or scientific achievement are you fascinated by and why?
I am fascinated by scientists that connect things from different domains because of the creativity it requires.
- Tell us about the work of art (books, music, movies, theatre, dance, visual arts) that has a special place in your life.
Daily music! Also, some books and movies have a special place.
- What have you read, listened to, or watched lately?
I don’t want to mention something specific because it comes and goes.
- Describe your very first impression of Slovenia.
My first impression was a sense of peace, safety and closeness to nature.
- What do you like about Slovenia and what do you miss most from your homeland?
I like very much how people are respectful towards each other and welcoming.
I like the cultural and language mix due to the many influences of the surrounding countries.
After my family and friends, I would say that what I miss the most is some kind of cheese we don’t really find here.
- Which place on the Slovene coast do you like the most?
Koper is definitely a special place. As well, Osp and Črni kal.
- What makes you enthusiastic?
A lot of things 😊
- Characterize your life’s guidance or an important realization (or epiphany) you have experienced.
I like to believe that fully enjoying life is as simple as being able to see its beauty in the little things of every day.
- What does the charm of wood mean to you?
To me, the charm of wood evokes contact with nature and inspires stability, simplicity and beauty.